Do I need a passport?

Yes. All international travel requires the participant to have a valid passport.

How long must the passport be valid for?

Technically speaking passports should be valid for a minimum of 6 months beyond your intended stay. There are exceptions to the rule for New Zealand passport holders, and this should be discussed with one of our travel professionals.

Foreign passport holders may be governed by a different set of requirements, so again it is imperative this be discussed with our travel professional.


do i need a visa?

New Zealand passport holders can travel to many countries without the need to acquire a visa prior to departure from New Zealand. However visa requirements continually change therefore it is imperative to discuss your specific itinerary with your travel professional.

If you have had a criminal conviction, regardless of how long ago or for what reason, it should be disclosed to your travel professional prior to the purchase of tickets. Some countries require a visa application to be lodged if you have had a conviction. This is a prerequisite if you are considering travelling to Australia, the USA and Canada. Among others.  

medical and vaccinations

What are the medical and vaccination requirements?

It varies from country to country. Generally travel to the more tropical, remote and undeveloped countries of the world is a good indicator that some vaccinations are likely. Our travel professionals can give you sound advice and vaccination recommendations from the World Health Organisation, however we stress that you should consult with your own family medical professional, who receives regular updates on vaccination requirements globally, and can advise you of the specific vaccinations recommended for the countries you’re visiting.

Vaccinations should be arranged well in advance of travel as some require booster shots, others have to be pre-ordered in advance and some vaccinations can only be administered by registered providers.


Should I take out Travel Insurance?

Travel Insurance can be an expensive accessory to any overseas holiday or business trip, however it is an essential component that offers protection for many scenario’s that may arise and interrupt your travel plans, such as, cancellation and delays due to illness, inclement weather, delays caused by strike, hospitalisation and medical assistance, evacuation, loss of luggage and personal belongings whilst overseas, to name a few.

It is also very important that you disclose to the underwriter any medical condition current or otherwise, that you have or have had, and give them the opportunity to assess and accept or decline cover for the condition.

It’s also important that you notify the underwriter of any reason you know that could result in a claim, for example a very ill family member or travelling companion.  Failure to do so could result in a claim being denied. We have two underwriters we use with proven cover and are happy to discuss their policies with you.

Our team of travel designers can go through the policies we offer with you and point-out any possible pitfalls. It is very important you familiarise yourself with your travel insurance policy, and know exactly what your policy covers you for and the process to follow in the event assistance is required whilst you’re overseas.

Do I need separate health insurance?

Travel Insurance provides medical cover whilst you’re travelling. Some policies include limited emergency dental cover as well.

Cover is provided for monies paid, cancellation and costs associated with your travel arrangements from the time the policy is taken out. However cover does not extend to include, medical or hospitalisation costs whilst in New Zealand, prior to your departure from New Zealand. This is covered by personal health insurance, ACC or by your own means.

You should consult with your private health insurance provider, if you have one, if your health insurance policy cover extends to cover you whilst you are travelling overseas. Ensure you have any confirmation of cover in writing from the underwriter.

credit card

Can I use my Credit Card during my trip?

In most instances you can use your credit card whilst travelling overseas. The most widely accepted are Visa and Mastercard. American Express is also accepted however due to the high merchant fees associated with it it is less desirable for merchants.

Note, Credit cards usually attract an additional charge to cover the banks transaction cost imposed on the merchant. We recommend that you take at least two or three forms of payment. Credit card, debit card and some cash is recommended.

Debit card supersedes Travellers Cheques and is a safe convenient means of accessing your funds whilst travelling. Most banks have a form of debit card, however it is important you familiarise yourself with each cards characteristics, as there are subtle variations between banks in regards to their acceptance around the world and the banks associated fees.

Where can I buy foreign currency before I leave?

Most trading banks have access to foreign exchange funds, however you will normally have to pre-order as they don’t generally carry reserves on site. Limited currencies can also be purchased at most airports from foreign exchange bureaus on the day of departure, however we recommend that you don’t rely on this and arrange currency in advance.

carry on lUGGAGE

What can I / can't carry on the plane?

In your carry-on luggage you cannot take liquids, gels or aerosols exceeding 100 millilitres in capacity. Anything over this must be carried in your checked luggage, such as shampoo, tooth paste, sunscreen and insect repellent and bottled water, some of the more common items confiscated at security.  .

Spare batteries, in particular Lithium batteries, must be carried in your carry-on luggage, not in your checked luggage. This includes I.Phone power bank adaptors.

Duty free can also be an issue, for example if you’re boarding a flight in Christchurch and transiting Singapore en-route to London on a same day connection. You’re duty free, if exceeding the 100 milliliter capacity restriction, will be confiscated at security in Singapore, prior to you boarding your connecting flight to London.


How should I carrying my passport, money, credit cards and important documents?

We have a large selection of security wallets, bags, packs and locks with proven effectiveness, to suit every traveler’s requirements.

Our range of products have anti scanning technology that prevents identity and credit card information theft via microchip scanning devices. It has anti slash materials in both the bag compartments and straps, and all compartments have locks protecting against pickpockets

Our suitcase locks are TSA approved, meaning security agencies can open them with a master key, search the bags and provide you with a clearance certificate, without the need to cut your lock off. 

adapter plug

How do I know which adapter plug I should use/ Do you supply them?

Travel 2U supplies our own brand of power adaptor that covers almost every country in the world. “One adaptor does it all”. It is convenient, simple to pack and very affordable.